Pineapple upside down cake cooking !
Today has been another hectic day. I am not sure why other than Dallas wasnt here and I have gotten rather used to her extra set of hands. But close your eyes now and imagine cooking with 16 preschoolers . That can make things seem just a little chaotic. The kids love cooking . Usually the cooking days are Randys’ deal. He even picked out the recipe today and it is SO yummy. I tasted it as I put it on the plates for snack today. It was pineapple upside down cake but it has some coconut milk in it and yum-o it is good !
What do kids learn when they are having cooking experiences ?
Cooking with young children is a fun and educational activity. By participating in food preparation, a young child can learn many things
- fine motor skills- the muscles we use to write with
- nutrition- we talk about what is healthy and what is not.
- science concepts – what happens when you add liquid to dry ingredients ?
- sensory exploration – how do the pineapples feel ? wet ? bumpy ?
- cooperation – waiting our turn to mix
- measurment – numbers !
- shapes – the square or the round cake pan
- following directions – learning to listen
- fractions Half or all…
- telling time We will have to wait 40 minutes for the cake to cook
- More, much more!
If you want to cook with your child at home here are some tips for you !
- Don’t be afraid of messes
- Be sure to find many safe ways that children care participate; measuring and stirring etc., Leave the use of knives, electric appliances and heating sources to adults.
- Keep directions simple
- Practice safe food handling and wash hands before and after.
- Always supervise young cooks