Today we had fun celebrating that this was our next to last day in school. We have been talking a lot about what kindergarten will be like and the friends who will be leaving. Leaving is hard.. even when you are 4 and excited about a new classroom. We read the book – If you take a Mouse to School. The kids enjoyed it and thought it was a “cool” booK.
There is a wide difference in the development of children entering kindergarten. Some children will be bigger than others, some will be sociable, some shy. Some will be reading, others will not be able to write their name. Whatever your child’s stage of development, there are some guidelines on readiness for kindergarten.
Children are usually ready for kindergarten if they can:
- leave their parents without too much difficulty
- go to the bathroom alone
- play well with and respect other children
- follow simple directions and rules
- resolve some conflicts with classmates without needing the teacher
- work independently for at least five minutes
- sit and listen to a story for ten minutes
- talk in complete sentences